Mills Building (1949-1968)

The downtown bookstore was located in the retail space to the left of the Montgomery Street entrance. Elder’s original 1897 shop was an interior room on the mezzanine. 

The Mills Building was burned out in the 1906 earthquake, but the shell was saved and a new interior built. It was here that in 1949, more than half a century after his father opened his first bookstore, that Paul Elder Jr opened a small satellite bookstore to serve the needs of the Financial District. This location lasted until 1968 when the firm was sold.